I love Wolverhampton, this is a great city. Our small businesses need our support more than ever during these crucial winter months. Whether it is in-person or online, I encourage everyone to help make a difference to local trade and to #shoplocal. Positive reviews and word of mouth help too, so make sure to share what your favourite local shops are with others. I have been working with businesses and the Government to ensure they are supported.
- If every working adult in Wolverhampton spent £5 a week extra with local businesses, it would boost the local economy by £780,000 a week.
- I am supporting the 'Shop Local' campaign which aims to support our city's local shops and businesses by showcasing their details for free. It is being led by the local Business Improvement Districts and the City of Wolverhampton Council. Businesses who would like their details to be listed can sign up here. Businesses listed on this website will have confirmed that they are operating in line with the latest Government guidelines.
- I am pleased to promote the Big Village Giveaway, a campaign being led by business owners in Tettenhall to raise funds for Compton Care. Read more information about how to take part in this prize raffle and other activities at https://www.facebook.com/thebigvillagegiveaway/
Since the outbreak of Coronavirus, the Government has provided more than £280 billion to support lives and livelihoods.
- The Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme, which has now been extended until the end of March and continues to support 2,900 jobs in the constituency of Wolverhampton South West.
- Grants for the self-employed, which have been made more generous in light of recent national and local lockdown announcements, and which have benefitted 5,400 people in Wolverhampton South West.
- Loans and Government-backed grants which have helped businesses facing severely reduced income because of pandemic.
- VAT cuts and business rates holidays for many small businesses, including those in the hospitality and retail sectors.
I have also been keeping my business support page up-to-date with the latest information, and I have been raising any specific cases with the Government. Please contact me if you require any specific assistance.
Regenerating our Economy
- As a local MP, I sit on the Towns Fund Board with other key partners from our local community. We have drawn up an ambitious bid for funding from the Government's £3.6 billion Towns Fund. We have already secured £1 million in advanced funding and £15 million from the Future High Streets Fund. This is helping to revitalise local commercial areas and high streets and supporting transformative projects such as the City Learning Quarter, the National Brownfield Institute, Wolves at Work employability scheme, and the Grand Theatre's expansion. You can find further details about investment we've secured here.
Levelling up in Wolverhampton
- In Parliament, I directly asked the Prime Minister Boris Johnson whether he will make a firm recommitment to reach into some of the most deprived areas and level up the country. I am pleased that the Prime Minister accepted my request and confirmed that Wolverhampton will benefit from around £217 million of the growth deal funding across the Black Country. This aims to create 5,000 jobs and 1,400 new homes. The Government has also positively responded to my request to move part of the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government to our area and hold part of the Commonwealth Games in our great city.